At Westwalk Orthodontics, we believe everyone deserves to achieve the perfect and healthy smile of their dreams but also that every patient should feel comfortable and confident throughout the length of their orthodontic treatment. This belief makes us proud to offer both Invisalign and Lingual braces in Norwalk, especially for our teenage patients looking for a more discreet treatment option.
Teenage life is a phase full of energy, hope life, joy, beauty, and passion. Despite popular belief, being a teenager can be rather difficult in today’s world. Teenagers face many challenges, making the right decisions, choosing the right environment and people, and expressing emotions, just to name a few. In a world of overexposure, unhealthy, and unrealistic expectations, today’s teenagers face major problems with bullying.
All of this without throwing in growing pains and four years of high school. Yes, high school can be fun and exciting. Still, if your teenager has to go through orthodontic treatment during their high school years, they might not feel as confident as possible with a mouth full of metal brackets and wires if choosing traditional orthodontics versus other options now available.
Whether you are a parent or a teen reading this blog post, it is likely you have heard about Invisalign clear aligners. There are many different types of orthodontic devices to choose from, and they each come with their pros and cons. But because today we want to introduce you to the most discreet options, we will take a detailed look at Invisalign and Lingual braces in Norwalk. Let’s start with Invisalign, the most popular of the two.
What Are Invisalign Clear Aligners?
Invisalign is a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligners that cover your teeth and gently pull them into the proper position over time. Because they are clear and completely removable, they are less noticeable than traditional metal braces.
You might be thinking, great! But how do Invisalign trays actually work? How many trays will I need? How long will my treatment last? Don’t worry; we are here to help.
How Long Does Invisalign Take and How Many Trays Will I Get?
Typically, a patient’s Invisalign treatment lasts about a year. During treatment time, most patients go through about 20 to 30 Invisalign trays. On the extreme end, a patient with major dental issues may go through about 50 trays. It’s important to remember that each patient’s smile is as unique as they are, so dental needs are different, and treatment time will depend on your specific needs.
Advantages of Invisalign Over Traditional Types of Braces
When considering your orthodontic treatment options, it’s important to know the advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces.
- Invisalign are clear, virtually invisible aligners, so chances are most people won’t notice you’re wearing them.
- It’s easier to maintain good oral health with Invisalign. You will remove the aligners when you eat. So simply brush your teeth and floss.
- Invisalign aligners are much more comfortable than metal braces. They won’t irritate your teeth or gums.
- Invisalign saves you time. No need to go to your orthodontist for adjustments; simply pop in your next tray, and you are set.
- Say Goodbye to diet restrictions. During your treatment with Invisalign, you don’t have to worry about consuming braces-friendly food. Since your aligning trays are removable, nothing is off-limits.
Lingual Braces, A Twist On Traditional Braces
Removable aligners are full of benefits, but the truth is that they aren’t for everyone. If, as a parent, you feel that Invisalign isn’t right for your teen, we have the perfect solution. Lingual braces in Norwalk; a twist on traditional braces. You might be wondering how braces that resemble traditional ones be right for your teenager if they’re looking for discreet options. Well…
What Are Lingual Braces?
Lingual braces have the same metal components as conventional braces, but they’re fixed to the back of your teeth, on the tongue, or what’s known as the lingual side of the teeth. Because they’re behind your teeth, they’re nearly invisible. If your teen has severe dental problems, lingual braces can be a more effective treatment option.
Lingual braces are a great choice because they are more efficient in moving roots when compared to Invisalign. They are also more effective in closing spaces for patients with very crooked teeth.
Sounds great, right? Yes, lingual braces are a great option if your kid wants a less noticeable option of traditional metal braces for their orthodontic treatment. However, just like with any other type of treatment, you and your family will have to consider some things.
Things To Consider With Lingual Braces
- Your teenager will have to follow the same food restrictions as with traditional metal braces.
- Lingual braces will give your teenager a temporary lisp; when we speak, our tongue touches the backs of our teeth to make certain sounds. Since the brackets are on the backside of the teeth, your teen’s speech is going to be affected when they first get lingual braces.
- Keeping good oral hygiene might be more difficult with lingual braces since they are placed on the backside of your teeth.
- Orthodontic appointments can take longer since lingual braces are on the backside of your teeth; they might cause your orthodontist a bit more work.
Pros and Cons of Discreet Types of Braces
There are pros and cons no matter what orthodontic device your teenager chooses to begin their orthodontic journey towards a perfect smile. So, it’s important to remember that each person has unique dental needs, and only your trusted orthodontist in Norwalk will be able to give you precise information regarding your tailormade treatment plans such as length of treatment, cost, and realistic final results.
Ready to help your teenager achieve a million-dollar smile? Schedule an in-office consultation with one of our board-certified orthodontists today.